Monday, April 15, 2013

Finicky Materials



Final Test. Latex, enamel, and gesso on wood. March 2013.



I LOVE new and foreign materials. Unfortunately, my favorites always happen to be hazardous or ephemeral. For instance, one of my tests that included latex will start to wilt and disintegrate in six months, and I’m looking for a material that could stick around in a gallery for a while.
I have been using, and will continue to use traditional painting materials in conventional ways so that I will have brought tradition into the conversation; and with that, the rest of the work functions to 'push up' against these formal qualities. Four bars, stretched canvas, gesso, oil ground, etc. I will paint an abstracted image onto the canvas to my full ability with oil, spray, and enamel paints. This sets the stage for future material experimentation, which I have done before, but this time I will go way too far. 



No comments:

Post a Comment